Wednesday, May 9, 2018

A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet #1) by Madeleine L'Engle

 
🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
It was a dark and stormy night; Meg Murry, her small brother Charles Wallace, and her mother had come down to the kitchen for a midnight snack when they were upset by the arrival of a most disturbing stranger. 

"Wild nights are my glory," the unearthly stranger told them. "I just got caught in a downdraft and blown off course. Let me be on my way. Speaking of way, by the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract".

Meg's father had been experimenting with this fifth dimension of time travel when he mysteriously disappeared. Now the time has come for Meg, her friend Calvin, and Charles Wallace to rescue him. But can they outwit the forces of evil they will encounter on their heart-stopping journey through space?

I want to start this review off by saying that I haven't seen the movie so I don't know if it is better or worse than the book. If the trailer is any indication, it seems like the director and writers included at least certain parts of the book in the movie. A Wrinkle in Time seemed like an interesting book but I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it until the movie came out. The trailers for the movie made the book seem more interesting to me so I figured I would give it a chance. 
I did think that the book was interesting but I wasn't in love with it. When Meg and company go on a mission to rescue her father things got a bit too religious and philosophical for my taste. That's not really something that I want a book to focus too heavily on when it is a children's book. I think that I ended up having a problem with it mainly because it was so on the nose. It wasn't subtle at all. I also had some trouble getting into the book at first due to the writing style and language that the author used. I'm not big on historical novels even if it is historical fiction so it turned me off of the book for the first 30 pages or so.  I also felt that things were resolved too easily. A character would say let's go accomplish this and then they would band together with others and it would be accomplished without any kind of exploration of things that went wrong or could go wrong. I wanted more conflict than there was in this story. That being said A Wrinkle in Time is certainly imaginative. The author creates a colorful fantastical world that I wanted to know more about. I wish that she would have explored it more in this book but I suppose you have to read on in the series to get more of that. 

2 comments:

  1. After never being able to get into these as a kid and hating the movie I’m not sure I’ll ever try to read them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't my favorite book that I've ever read so I get it

    ReplyDelete