Tuesday, September 5, 2017

The Girl From the Well by Rin Chupeco

                                                     🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
I am where dead children go.

Okiku is a lonely soul. She has wandered the world for centuries, freeing the spirits of the murdered-dead. Once a victim herself, she now takes the lives of killers with the vengeance they're due. But releasing innocent ghosts from their ethereal tethers does not bring Okiku peace. Still she drifts on.
Such is her existence, until she meets Tark. Evil writhes beneath the moody teen's skin, trapped by a series of intricate tattoos. While his neighbors fear him, Okiku knows the boy is not a monster. Tark needs to be freed from the malevolence that clings to him. There's just one problem: if the demon dies, so does its host.

 I don't generally read a lot of horror but the plot of this book intrigued me. I've never seen the movie The Ring and I don't know much about Japanese ghost stories/folklore. This book was compared to both of these things which made me nervous that I would have to read this while the sun was out unless I wanted to have nightmares.  
There were a few moments when I was reading this when I flinched out of fear but for the most part it didn't scare me. I would say that the book is more creepy than scary and I'm a scardy cat so make of that what you will.
I found that I was pulled into the story from the first page. I wanted to know more about Okiku and the reasons behind her actions. She seemed like such an interesting character and I enjoyed being inside of her head for the entirety of the book. Okiku is a vigilante of sorts who murders people that have harmed and continue to harm children. I have to say that even though she kills people and seems a bit blood thirsty, I was rooting for her. I wished that she could have saved the victims rather than avenging them after they had already been murdered. I also liked Tark, the strong-willed, loner, although he took a backseat to Okiku. I found it interesting to learn about both of their backgrounds and what brought them to this place in their lives where they were drawn together.
I loved the story and thought that the pacing was well done. I was never bored nor did I feel a lull in the book. I couldn't predict what was going to happen. The author surprised me more than once with where she took the book but it still fit with the story. I've never read anything quite like this and I may end up reading more from this author.

 


2 comments:

  1. This one sounds intriguing. I love a good horror novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really fun, and it sounds like a good book for fall time.

    ReplyDelete