Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms #1) by Erin Summerill

🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis:
Seventeen year-old Britta Flannery is at ease only in the woods with her dagger and bow. She spends her days tracking criminals alongside her father, the legendary bounty hunter for the King of Malam—that is, until her father is murdered. Now outcast and alone and having no rights to her father’s land or inheritance, she seeks refuge where she feels most safe: the Ever Woods. When Britta is caught poaching by the royal guard, instead of facing the noose she is offered a deal: her freedom in exchange for her father’s killer.

However, it’s not so simple.

The alleged killer is none other than Cohen McKay, her father’s former apprentice. The only friend she’s ever known. The boy she once loved who broke her heart. She must go on a dangerous quest in a world of warring kingdoms, mad kings, and dark magic to find the real killer. But Britta wields more power than she knows. And soon she will learn what has always made her different will make her a daunting and dangerous force.

I enjoyed this book and am interested in the next one to see what direction the author will take the book in. Ever the Hunted leaves off on an interesting note. I'm not sure if I understand or even like how it ended but I am curious enough to read the next book. 
I thought that the premise of this book was interesting because I loved the idea of female bounty hunter. I wish that would have actually been the case but sadly the author did not having her doing that job. Apparently, that position is only for men so the book focuses on her hunt for Cohen while displaying the skills that she had learned from the training her father gave her. I would have liked for the author to have explained some things in more detail like the world that the book was set in. I feel like there was enough information there to get the gist but some things were guesswork on my part.
I think that Britta was an okay character. I appreciated how much she cared for others regardless of their treatment of her as well as her abilities. I would have liked for Britta to be less concerned with whether or not Cohen had feelings for her. I feel like the book focused too much on that aspect over and over. It got a bit tiresome. My favorite moments regarding her were when she was being clever in some way whether that was by showing her skills as a tracker/hunter or her power. I found the idea of the different types of elemental magic to be interesting. I hope that the next book explores that more because I am curious about other things that Britta might be able to do. 






2 comments:

  1. Isn’t this a debut author? Maybe she’ll get better as she goes along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was okay for me. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. Britta's obsessing over Cohen did bug me. I don't know if I'll read the 2nd the book.

    ReplyDelete